Thursday, February 18, 2016

Meaning, Money, Living, and Life-Altering Questions

In his book START., Jon Acuff presents two poignant questions:

1. If I died today, what would I regret not being able to do?

2. Are these the things I'm spending time doing right now?

One of my training clients is in his sixties, and has been reflecting over his life. Being the wisdom junkie that I am, I asked him to tell me how he would live life differently if he could do it over. What experiential wisdom would he share with me, a young man in my thirties? His answer was that he wouldn't have chased money as vehemently. Instead, he would have been a craftsman, spent more time with his family, and created art work that was meaningful to him. Now, he isn't at immediate risk of death, but he is feeling the weightiness of time and energy spent on things that he now views as rather unimportant: luxury cars, high paying CEO positions, spectacular looking suits, and 70 hour work weeks.

Here is a random, yet very cool, picture of an iguana.
In the everyday busyness of life, we don't always comprehend the fact that this, right now, is our life. It won't end 1000 years from now, giving us loads of time. It will end 40, 30, or 20 years from now, give or take a couple of decades. So, what is it your soul is longing to express? Are you spending time on that very thing?

For me, it's the ideas I have within me. Over the last several years, I've attended more personal growth meetings, retreats, workshops, and weekends than I can count, and have read a library's worth of "be your best self" books. I've transformed from a judgmental Christian into a simple follower of Jesus. I've gone from hardly being able to function at work due to throat issues to developing close relationships with an array of clients. I've gone from avoiding facing my pain squarely, looking it in the eye, to someone who is utterly honest about my experience of life. A transformation such as this is no small potato experience. Millions of people live an entire life without making a shift. I long to express and share my experience of growth with others, making authentic connections along the way. What's the "thing" you long to do? How would you describe the piece of your heart and soul you long to express, but has been drowned out by the busyness of life?

Take heart, be courageous, and begin to express the longing within you!

With love, -Nic

Enjoy this post? Click here to like InspirationRushNow on Facebook.

Attend my five hour workshop on May 14th, and you'll have the chance to deeply explore these questions with others who are on the journey. Email nicsaluppo@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment