Sunday, December 20, 2015

Swim Sideways, but Don't Stop!

Sometimes we need to swim sideways.

That's exactly what a client of mine, Shane, did.

Once per week, I take him through a pool workout. What's interesting about this is that he has a bit of a fear of water relating to not getting enough air. Having recently began the pool workouts, we set a goal of swimming four consecutive lengths without stopping.

First try: did not complete four lengths.

Second try: did not complete four lengths.

Now, as a trainer, I don't encourage my clients to go after acute goals they aren't yet physically ready to accomplish. I believed Shane could accomplish this goal. With that said, I was considering the possibility of rounding out the session with a few one or two length intervals with a 20-30 second break between bouts, then coming back to the goal of four consecutive lengths the following week. My gut, however, was saying that the issue was relating more to a mental dynamic than a physical dynamic.

Years prior, he had competed in a triathlon, and someone had given him this advice: swim sideways when you're tired. This allows an athlete to regenerate, as swimming sideways activates a different set of muscles than does the freestyle stroke, AKA the front crawl. After a period of swimming sideways, the triathlete can then return to the freestyle stroke feeling more energized. He repeated this advice to me, and I then repeated it back to him. (Side note: it's interesting that the answers are always within us, yet, we don't always recognize them as answers when in the thick of our dilemma). "This time," I reflected back to him, "do not stop. No matter what. Swim sideways if you need to. But do not stop swimming."

Sometimes I need to swim sideways in life. Specifically, in the areas of starting and developing a new company (Inn8fit- website coming soon!), meeting and forming a relationship with a remarkable woman, and staying connected to God. There are instances when I think, I don't know what in the world I'm doing! The key is that I continue to move forward no matter how awkward or unprepared I feel. No matter how small a step I take, I make a conscious effort to squeeze out every bit of wisdom from the step, and then apply that wisdom moving forward. That is to say, I never get out of the pool!

As I write this, James 1:12 comes to mind: "Blessed are those who persevere under trial..." I've had conversations with a lot of successful people lately in many arenas, including spiritual, financial, business, and relational. The ONE characteristic that arises again and again is perseverance. In other words, viewing failure as part of the overall process. Not allowing trials and setbacks to yield an attitude of giving up, rather, an attitude of learning and then adjusting our approach.

So, in what areas of life do you need to swim sideways? Rephrased, what areas of life are important to you but you don't yet feel comfortable in your efforts pertaining to those areas?  Swim sideways if you have to, but no matter what, don't stop! (To clarify, this doesn't mean never taking time to rest. Instead, "don't stop" refers to consciously keeping oneself in the process of attempting, learning, and gaining wisdom, with the opposing standpoint being completely avoiding those things that are uncomfortable and therefore not growing).

Shane swam the four consecutive lengths on his third attempt. He swam sideways a couple of times, but never stopped moving. The more I continue to move, the more deeply I learn the fact that we must first take a step into the unknown, learn from that step, then apply the newly found wisdom, which makes the step after that higher in quality as a result. Whether our direction is related to exercise, health, business, relationship with God, others, or self, stay in the pool, even if it means you've got to swim sideways.


No comments:

Post a Comment